Instant Potato Lefse Recipe
Lefse recipe using instant potatoes submitted by Edith Cano.
(This recipe was dictated to Edith by her Norwegian grandmother Ramona Johnson)
Lefse recipe using instant potatoes submitted by Edith Cano
- 1 batch = 24 lefse
- ADD to: 3 cups boiling water:
- 1 ½ teas. salt
- ¾ cup margarine or butter
- 2 1/3 cup canned evaporated milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- Heat all until real hot. Now ADD:
- 4 cups Idahoen instant potatoes (you can use any brand)
- (2 lbs 4 oz makes 6 batches)
- Mix like for eating. Chill. Then ADD:
- 1 ½ to 2 cups flour when ready to roll. (Mix with hands until flour is absorbed)
Form lefse dough into golf ball sized (or larger) portions. ROLL out flat with Lefse rolling pin using flour as needed (so it won’t stick) turning often with lefse turner until thin. Use lefse turner to lift from pastry board to griddle. Bake on Lefse griddle at 410-435 degrees until golden brown bubbles appear. Flip with lefse turner and brown other side. Stack lefse on towel and cover with another towel until baking is finished to prevent drying out. Once cooled, lefse freezes well.